Hopefully you will always see eye to eye with the taxman. But if you simply cannot agree with their point of view, we will be there to help resolve your tax disputes, if possible without the need for litigation.
Our team includes both barristers and solicitors so we can provide you with a seamless one-stop shop for all aspects of any dispute, or we can work with outside Counsel if you prefer.
Our tax dispute services
When you are in a tax or VAT dispute we can help to move the issues to a successful resolution:
- Negotiations with HMRC
- Advice on the merits of your tax treatment
- Tax litigation against HMRC, including advocacy before the Tribunals and Courts
- Mediation and ADR
Our experience: experts in resolving tax disputes
We have years of experience in tax litigation and negotiation to achieve the right results:
- Representing a seller of technology rights, in VAT litigation concerning the VAT effects of a structured finance arrangement and whether a credit note could be issued in the circumstances (judgment awaited)
- Successfully acting for a large insurance outsourcing supplier in a business-critical dispute with HMRC re whether their services were a single exempt supply, or included a separate taxable supply on which VAT was due. The issues were complex e.g. overlapping, contradictory agreements and the interaction of related intra-group arrangements with anti-avoidance rules
- Advising on a claim under a tax deed of covenant involving 3 separate jurisdictions
- Providing a second opinion to a high street bank for its VAT litigation to the CJEU on partial exemption issues
- Representing the taxpayer in “Totality of transfer of business assets (“Transfer of a going concern”) appeal in respect of the VAT treatment of a transfer of business assets into a VAT group